View Single Post
Old 05-11-2006, 01:55 PM
ACTIVE SLAVE
Points: 19,273, Level: 87 Points: 19,273, Level: 87 Points: 19,273, Level: 87
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Say 'Thank You!' for this post. = 0 For This Post / 27 Total
salsashark She Might Even Let You Cumsalsashark She Might Even Let You Cumsalsashark She Might Even Let You Cumsalsashark She Might Even Let You Cumsalsashark She Might Even Let You Cumsalsashark She Might Even Let You Cumsalsashark She Might Even Let You Cumsalsashark She Might Even Let You Cumsalsashark She Might Even Let You Cumsalsashark She Might Even Let You Cumsalsashark She Might Even Let You Cum
Default Books and Authors

We have a thread here about music, so I thought maybe I'd start one about books. This one may sink like a stone, but I like to read and am always looking for new authors, so I'm gonna give it a go. I thought I'd mention a few that I like, and perhaps others would like to do the same. I'd also be interested to hear if anyone knows of any books with a BDSM theme.

I like mysteries, especially private detective fiction:

I'm a big fan of Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot series. I also like the American author Martha Grimes who sets all her books in England (ones that I've read anyway) and reminds me a little of Christie. I'm also a fan of the Nero Wolfe series of Rex Stout, as well as the Spenser series by Robert Parker because it often has very witty dialogue and is set in Boston where I live, but I think that the series hasn't aged all that well. I still like his early ones though.

I also like series that have female protagonists like Sue Grafton's "alphabet mysteries" that features the character Kinsey Millhone and Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum book series. The latter makes for excellent summer reading and can literally be laugh out loud funny at times.

I also like science fiction
:

Greg Bear, Gregory Benford, Ursula K. Le Guin, Stanislaw Lem, Robert Silverberg, Frederik Pohl and Octavia Butler are a few authors that come to mind. I just picked up my first book by William Gibson called Pattern Recognition and am looking forward to reading it.

And of course the great Douglas Adams, author of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, who sadly passed away a few years ago.

I guess a sub-genre of this would be dystopain and post-apocalyptic fiction like Orwell's 1984, Evgenij Zamiatin's We, Ann Rand's The Anthem, and A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller. If anyone has any of those to recommend, I'd really like to know.

I'm also a fan of some horror books:

I used to be a Stephen King fan, but I've recently realized that he lost me some years ago. I've kind of been hanging on hoping he'd come out with another one like It or The Stand, but I haven't even made it through the first chapter of his most recent one. I finished the Dark Tower series because I felt kind of compelled to after following it for over a decade, but I think King is over for me.

I'm about to start Hell House by Richard Matheson which looks quite good. I've liked some of Dean R. Koontz's novels like Strangers and Watchers, and I've also liked some of Clive Barker's books like Cabal and some of Peter Straub's work as well - Koko comes to mind offhand.